11.19.2009

The Long Awaited

It has been quite awhile since I last posted anything, but I've been sick so what better time to update? Sick seems to be the story of my life this past month. Between Halloween and now, I've had three different viruses. That's three weeks, three viruses. I can think of two reasons for this onslaught of illness. 1) My immune system hates me. 2) I started a new job working with homeless youth at a drop-in center that my boss so appropriately named "The Sick Box." But since I have so much time with nothing to do (the doctor deemed me still contagious which means no work and a lot of boredom to contend with) let's start the update!

I started a new job at the Homeless Youth Resource Center of Salt Lake City. The center is exists for homeless or at risk of being homeless youth ages 15-22. The youth can come in and receive our services that include, but are not limited to showers, laundry, 2 meals a day, food bank items, job assistance, case management, hygiene items, a safe place to hang out, etc. We are not a shelter, so they don't stay overnight at our facility, and unfortunately we are only open on the weekdays. I actually work for AmeriCorps, which is a government agency and they, in turn, placed me at the Homeless Youth Resource Center, which functions under the larger Volunteers of America - Utah. VOA is one of the largest nonprofit agencies in the country. My commitment to AmeriCorps/The Center is for one year. So far, I find the job both rewarding and tiring. It drains me emotionally to see where some of our clients are at and what they've been through, but fills me to see the good that the center does. And I won't lie, I don't miss serving tables one bit.

Next week, for Thanksgiving, Erin and Ron are coming to Salt Lake for a visit. This is SO exciting to me for a number of reasons. First, it's always good to see them. Secondly, because I can't go home or be with family for Christmas, it is so important to me that I get to be with family on Thanksgiving! I can't wait for Tuesday to get here.

In a couple weeks I, along with three roommates, will move into a house in the lovely Salt Lake neighborhood of Sugarhouse, more descriptively to those familiar with the grid system, 15th and 15th. I have loved, loved, loved living with the Rogers and am greatly appreciative, but as they get ready for big changes in their life (!) I am happy to move into my own place! I'm sure there will be pictures to follow.

And... it's been awhile so here's what's new in my reading world. Admittedly, I've been horrible at reading lately. I've been so busy with so many things (new job, middle school volunteering, small group, GRE studying) that I haven't had a lot of time to read. I finished Things Fall Apart. Throughout the book I couldn't decide if I actually liked it, and I'm still not decided. It is a dark, mysterious, fascinating, and tragic book. I would love to hear thoughts from someone who has read it. I am now on the fourth Harry Potter book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. For some reason it doesn't hold my attention as the previous three did. I hope this changes because I don't want to be a Harry Potter quitter. I also picked up a random book that I haven't been able to put down called The Heretic's Daughter, by Kathleen Kent. It's a historical fiction novel centering around the Salem Witch Trials. Occasionally, I read the dictionary in preparation for the GRE. Not a fascinating read...




Well, there you have it!
Peace.

1 comment:

  1. Definitely don't stop reading the Harry Potter books. It'll pay off. Trust me.

    And Hi!! I'm following your blog now. Miss you.

    ReplyDelete